Monday, October 06, 2008

It Is Never Too Late!

Dance With My Father Again

Verse 1:
Back when I was a child,
before life removed all the innocence.
My father would lift me high
and dance with my mother and me and then
spin me around 'til I fell asleep.
Then up the stairs he would carry me
and I knew for sure I was loved.

If I could get another chance,
another walk, another dance with him,
I'd play a song that would never, ever end.
How I'd love, love, love
to dance with my father again.

Verse 2:
When I and my mother would disagree -
to get my way, I would run from her to him.
He'd make me laugh just to comfort me,
then finally make me do just what my mama said.
Later that night when I was asleep,
he left a dollar under my sheet.
Never dreamed that he would be gone from me.

If I could steal one final glance,
one final step, one final dance with him,
I'd play a song that would never, ever end
'Cause I'd love, love, love
to dance with my father again.

Bridge:
Sometimes I'd listen outside her door
and I'd hear how my mother cried for him.
I pray for her even more than me.
I pray for her even more than me.

Verse 3:
I know I'm praying for much too much
but could you send back the only man she loved?
I know you don't do it usually
but dear Lord she's dying
to dance with my father again.

Last Line:
Every night I fall asleep and this is all I ever dream.

Next week is dad's birthday. For his present, I am thinking of doing a compilation of photos taken of us together since I was a baby. It just dawned on me that dad is already 74 this year. Wow! How time flies!

When I was browsing through all my childhood photos, I never realised I had so many. All taken by dad who loved photography then. He has stopped this hobby altogether - probably because he is much older now. I thank God that this interest of his has passed on to me. Come to think of it, I still have that Kodak camera he was using whenever we go out.

Anyway, whenever I look at the old black and white photos, tears would just roll down my cheeks. These are basically tears of joy, pain and also regret.

Before I went to primary school, I remember dad would always bring me out to watch movies at the Capitol, the Odeon and Lido cinemas and this was a weekly affair. He would then bring me to eat at places like the old Satay Club or at the Taman Serasi hawker centre. Dad would also buy me lots and lots of toys at Yaohan - even at times when he refused to do so. Yups! That is because I would cry and cry till he was too embarrassed and had no choice but to purchase the toys I demanded for. Haha.

Since I was a baby, dad took care of me more than mum. Mum was more like the head of the household but of course, this does not mean that dad has no authority at home. Day and night he would be the one feeding me. Of course sometimes in the middle of the night as well when my tummy started rumbling. Nestum was my all-time favourite cereal! :)

The above are experiences I would cherish for the rest of life.

Then came primary education. This was the period when mum started pressurising me to excel in my studies. In school I started hanging out with the wrong company which then made me rebel against her by purposely doing the opposite of what she hoped me to be.

This was the beginning of the rift between my parents and I. I would create lots of problems. Though dad would always come to my rescue, I was not as grateful to him anymore because then I thought my gangster friends were the best! As much as I could, I would stay away from my parents though I know dad would always be near should I need him.

Now looking back, it was a stupid move on my part to rebel because the consequence was not excelling in my Primary School Leaving Examinations which then brought me to the Normal stream of my secondary education.

Though I have already accepted Jesus Christ then, there were still a lot of things which I needed to repent; there were still lots of grudges and hatred against my parents. Of course I did not do well for my 'O' Level examinations as well. Already having to do 5 years of secondary education because I was in the Normal stream, I had no choice but to repeat my 'O' Level exams again. Six years of secondary education altogether! Others finished in 4 years successfully and I finished in 6 unsuccessfully.

Well, I still failed to gain entry to a junior college or polytechnic. To give dad due credit, he was still trying to be there for me when I was in my pits but the rift was too wide and I basically declined his willingness to help.

Well, these are some experiences, if given a chance, I would love to right the wrongs.

All said, I still praise God for His amazing grace! My life took a turn for the better when I chose to do my 'A' Level as a private candidate after my pastor-in-charge woke my ideas up. He also reminded me to honour my parents.

I did well to be admitted into a local university and then graduated with a degree. My parents saw a change in me and a couple of years later they turned their lives to Christ. Our relationships have since improved tremendously!

After a long-winded sharing, my encouragement to us all is this - Don't Wait Till It's Too Late!

Dad is already old. What matters to me now is not about the past but the present. How am I going to spend my time now with dad? I have lost many precious years which I could have spent quality time with him but of course I chose the other way and 'wasted' those years. Now, I will not make such boo-boos anymore.

The song I shared above is one of reminiscing the past. Though it is a sad song, it is not about the unpleasant but instead the wonderful time the songwriter had with his dad. It is of no doubt that one day dad will be leaving me but it is my prayer when that happens, my heart would be filled with all the great experiences I had with him - of no regrets; pain, grudges; or hatred.

Okie, back to scanning some of the old photos. All thanks and praise to my Heavenly Father for my earthly father who is trying his best to be as great a parent to me as possible! I appreciate his perseverance and love.

Looking forward to the remaining days I will be having with him here on earth but setting my eyes even further ahead, I am glad I will be spending eternity with dad in heaven as well! Hallelujah! :)

"Children, obey your parents in the Lord, for this is right. "Honor your father and mother" — which is the first commandment with a promise — "that it may go well with you and that you may enjoy long life on the earth." Ephesians 6:1-2

No comments: