Wednesday, March 12, 2008

You'll Never Walk Alone

Finally work has eased up, at least for tonight where I do not have to bring back stuff from office to do. It has been up to my neck since Monday. On top of that, I have to prepare for the Easter Combined Service where I struggled quite a bit deciding on the songs, which must have a combination of both English and Mandarin pieces.

Whatever pockets of free time I had from Monday till now, I have been seeking the Lord. It was during lunch-time today that I managed to complete the list. I had a wonderful time of communion with God - praising, praying and listening. Thanks be to Him!

Well, it is now subjected to the approval of both the Pastor-in Charge and Worship and Music chairperson. May the Lord continue to lead and guide all who will be involved in the service as we anticipate the celebration of His resurrection!

Oh yah, the Worship and Music chairperson, who is a dear sister and also a good friend of mine, has responded to my email indicating my desire to stop leading worship indefinitely. She respected my decision as she has also noticed how over-committed I have been these past few months. One thing she did in her reply caused me to evaluate on my own walk regarding fellowship with my siblings-in-Christ - whether it has been one that is superficial.

She apologised that though she has noticed my over-commitment, she did not go further to share with me her observation and burden. I was touched by her honesty and open-ness and I asked myself how many times when I sensed a burden for the lives of my brothers and sisters-in-Christ that I chose not to do anything about it? There were many occasions.

Well, this is one indication of selfishness. Why do I say that? Because those times when I chose not to respond to the tugging in my heart is simply because one, I do not want to trouble myself with the hassle of having to follow up with the person involved (because I do not know what I will get myself into); two, it is a tiring process - physically, emotionally and mentally; three, I did not want to sound or look like a busybody; four, I got other better things to do; five, I sometimes chose the people whom I think I can help.

The above-mentioned are my confessions and I am learning to overcome them with God's help. Sometimes I questioned - "What is the point then for me to have a heart that though it feels for the people around me but I am not doing anything about it? The fifth reason I mentioned regarding choosing people whom I think I can help is a scary thought. Why the prejudice? Why the favourtism? Why the excuse?

Well, this is one area of my life that I spoke to the Lord about during my lunch break today. I was jolted by the rebuke I received! Many times I forgot that I will have to account all these to God when I stand before His presence. I can escape now but not forever.

I will ask the Lord to give me His strength and understanding and wisdom the next time I want to help a sibling-in-Christ who is struggling. If I tap on His resources, surely I can do all things!

Anyway, I want to share this because it is time for us to really practise the powerful discipline of fellowship - where lives of those whom we regard as brothers and sisters-in-Christ will be rescued, refreshed, touched and rebuilt! I guess this is how we help each other press on in life.

Many have fallen away not because the authenticity of the Christian faith is in doubt; it is simply because we do not walk with each other enough to help fight the lures and struggles of this world which can be overwhelming.

"Spirit touch Your Church, stir the hearts of men.
Revive us, Lord, with Your passion once again.
I want to care for others, like Jesus cares for me.
Let Your rain fall upon me.
Let Your rain fall upon me.

I led this song last Sunday. Did I mean what I sang? I hope so and I want to.

Fellowship Builds; Selfishness Breaks!

I shall sleep soon. I was up early this morning watching the Inter Milan - Liverpool Champions League match. Well, it was not a waste at all. Liverpool pulled through and is now in the quarter-finals!

Oh yah, the Reds' slogan reads, "You'll Never Walk Alone."

Hmmm... that is what fellowship is about, isn't it?! :)

"Brothers, if someone is caught in a sin, you who are spiritual should restore him gently. But watch yourself, or you also may be tempted. Carry each other's burdens, and in this way you will fulfill the law of Christ." Galatians 6:1-2

No comments: