Saturday, March 29, 2008

The Bible - What's It To You And Me?







The above pictures were taken when my God-Son, his parents and I decided to take the Singapore Flyer this evening. It was an impromptu plan but a relatively good one since all of us have not tried this new icon of the island-nation! It is apparently the biggest in the world. I hope I got my fact right. :)

I was hoping to take pictures of the sunset and the Singapore Skyline when the surroundings turned dark but we sort of mis-timed the boarding. The construction of the integrated resort and also the Stadium by the Bay were an eye-sore to photographers who are interested in taking a nice picture of the Marina Bay. Anyway, it was still an experience.

We had dinner at this restaurant called Popeye's Chicken and Biscuits located in the Singapore Flyer Complex. I must say that the chicken tastes better than Kentucky Fried Chicken. Sorry KFC. Anyway, I am only speaking for myself. I had better say this lest I get sued by Colonel Sanders and Company. Haha. :) I also do not wish his ghost to come and visit me tonight for saying something bad about the establishment he had officially founded in 1955.

Go and try this new kid on the block and see whether you agree whether the chicken is jucier and tastier than KFC's.

Anyway, thanks be to God for the opportunity to try new stuff today!

I learnt something from my God-Son and his parents and this is in relation to my walk with Jesus as my Heavenly Father.

He was misbehaving while we were eating our dinner and his father, who is a very dear brother and good friend of mine, had to be stern with the boy. The lad obeyed what his father instructed him and after that he was more well-behaved. My dear brother had to also explain to his 2 1/2-year-old son as to what he had done wrong.

When I was talking to my friend's wife, who is also a dear sister to me, she shared with me that my God-Son is picking things up very fast at this age. With this realisation, the parents themselves have to set good examples and also to give sound and Godly advice to this dear child of theirs. They also have to correct him from the bad habits he learnt from his schoolmates at the pre-nursery school.

When I was listening and observing all that had happened, I realised this is also what God is trying to do for His children. He knows we are constantly exposed to the teachings of this world and many of us have picked up bad habits along the way. Some have sinned and are still sinning but God is in the process of disciplining His children... not to torture us but to correct us for our own good. If ever there was a patient father, He will be the One!

The Word of God, which has been neglected by many, is the main source in which God speaks and teaches - training us towards the path of holiness and godliness. Yet, many Christians find no interest in learning from it and hence, have gone astray.

There is a need for Christians to go back to the Word, which is the lamp unto our feet and the light unto our path. Christians without the Word are like a soldiers without their weapons.

Just like my God-Son is learning from his earthly parents; we need to learn from our Heavenly Father. We cannot go wrong when we choose to follow this path.

Anyway, time for me to end soon. It has been a long day as I have been out since the late morning. Some current and past members of the Missions Committee had a farewell lunch for a dear brother who will be leaving with his wife and two children for Cambodia to carry out the work of missions in this land God has called them to. It was a fruitful time of fellowship which I know I will miss when they are away.

May the Lord bless and keep this family who have obeyed His call and are now in the process of carrying their crosses to another land so that the glory of God will be shown to those who have yet to experience it.

Thanks be to God for a wonderful start to the weekend!

"Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light for my path." Psalm 119:105

"Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy set before him endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. Consider him who endured such opposition from sinful men, so that you will not grow weary and lose heart. In your struggle against sin, you have not yet resisted to the point of shedding your blood. And you have forgotten that word of encouragement that addresses you as sons: "My son, do not make light of the Lord's discipline, and do not lose heart when he rebukes you, because the Lord disciplines those he loves, and he punishes everyone he accepts as a son." Endure hardship as discipline; God is treating you as sons. For what son is not disciplined by his father? If you are not disciplined (and everyone undergoes discipline), then you are illegitimate children and not true sons. Moreover, we have all had human fathers who disciplined us and we respected them for it. How much more should we submit to the Father of our spirits and live! Our fathers disciplined us for a little while as they thought best; but God disciplines us for our good, that we may share in his holiness. No discipline seems pleasant at the time, but painful. Later on, however, it produces a harvest of righteousness and peace for those who have been trained by it. Therefore, strengthen your feeble arms and weak knees. "Make level paths for your feet," so that the lame may not be disabled, but rather healed." Hebrews 12:1-13

No comments: