Friday, March 28, 2008

Outer Versus Inner Beauty

I just got home from work. It has been a super long day but thanks be to God for pulling me through it. This afternoon I had to give a presentation for a research topic that I was working on. I have spent the past few weeks on this and I praise the Lord all went well.

I received a few positive feedbacks from the panel. I thought the pointers given were very constructive and decided to stay back to add their suggestions into the overall proposal. I did not want to procrastinate since I was excited about the whole thing. I realised when one is enthusiastic about certain stuff he or she is doing, ideas would just start flowing. It happened to me today. :)

Well, now that I have got this over and done with, I can enjoy all I want this weekend and hopefully have a good rest too.

This morning I woke up feeling fat. I am actually. Haha. I did not feel good about it. Coincidentally, I read someone's blog and she too said something about being horizontally-challenged. In fact lately, I have been hearing a few people complaining about their weight or their looks.

Is it wrong to be bothered by this physical dissatisfaction? If it is for the concern of health issues, then it is good to do something about it since it is important for us to be good stewards to the bodies God has given us.

Sad to say, many times the discontentment is more related to vanity and that itself is unhealthy. Sometimes it becomes the god of our lives because everything we do revolves around being conscious of how and what people would think of us.

It is okay, to a certain extent, to consider the way we would like to carry ourselves in the presence of others but if it begins to govern our lives then something is wrong and we need to evaluate our mindset on physical appearances.

A question kept appearing in my mind - does God treat one who is fat and another who is thin differently? I do not think so. Sad to say, this cannot be said of some of the people around us but we cannot let these persons cause us to be insecure about ourselves!

When I was praying about this and for the people whom I know are affected, I was challenged to consider the inner beauty than that of the outer. How true a revelation that was!

What is the point of being beautiful externally when what comes out of our mouths or the thoughts we have in us are unattractive at all? I cannot speak for others but if I have to make a choice, I would want to work on my character-building than anything else. May God be my help in this.

So will I continue to lose weight? Yes, for my health sake but it will not control me.

"Woe to you, teachers of the law and Pharisees, you hypocrites! You are like whitewashed tombs, which look beautiful on the outside but on the inside are full of dead men's bones and everything unclean. In the same way, on the outside you appear to people as righteous but on the inside you are full of hypocrisy and wickedness." Matthew 23:27-28

"Charm is deceptive, and beauty is fleeting; but a woman who fears the LORD is to be praised." Proverbs 31:30 (applicable to men as well, in my opinion)

No comments: