Sunday, March 02, 2008

Who Controls Tomorrow?

I am supposed to be watching Liverpool play against Bolton Wanderers but I have decided to blog instead. If not, by the time the match ends later, it would have been too late as I have to be in office early tomorrow. The week ahead is going to be manic so it is best for me to sleep all I can tonight. Scary to know how long and tough the week is going to be even though it is just the first day of it.

Anyway, it will also be a week of uncertainties as I am on stand-by - something related to my role as a reservist. Anyway, I shall not think about it now till I am being mobilised.

This morning's sermon was very timely and it is amazing how God used such means to assure me of His ever-presence in my life. The sermon title was "Who Controls Tomorrow?" The answers may be as obvious as "Andy Chew, of course!" but in actual fact, the Person is none other than God Himself.

My Senior Pastor was saying that it is okay to plan for the future but God has to be part of the planning - there must be a need to always seek Him. She also warned the congregation that we will never know what tomorrow holds as today may be our last.

Coincidentally, when the Youth Ministry Mentors (YMMs) met this morning for a time of prayer, the YM Coordinator encouraged the mentors to spend 30 minutes on our own just seeking God. I cherish that half an hour I had with God and I was reading about the need for Sabbath-rest. I basically shared with my God Almighty the qualms I have and also the burdens. It is a great comfort to have submitted all these to Him and knowing that He will surely carry me through the week.

It is really interesting for God to remind me of all these when I am preparing myself to enter a week of busyness both at work and in church. Truly He is good and His love endures forever.

It has been a tiring day - having been in church since 8am. On top of the regular Sunday activities like attending the YMMs' Prayer Meeting, YM and service, I had to also meet a couple to help them plan their wedding which will be in two weeks' time. Thank God the details have been sorted out and I will basically have to draft the programme for their BIG day.

I am glad to have met two siblings-in-Christ who were part of the TRACkers' programme which ended on Friday. Though they were from other churches (one from Wesley Methodist Church and the other from Agape Methodist Church), it was great to have them visit my church. :)

I came home not too long ago after I had dinner with my God-Son and his parents who are my very good friends.

My God-Son is running a high fever since yesterday. My doggy is also unwell as she has been vomitting since last night. I guess I will have to pray for them though one is not a human but I believe God will still bring healing!

Well, I guess that is all! I shall leave one day at a time and enjoy the week of adventure ahead! May the Lord's name be glorified through it all!

"Therefore, since the promise of entering his rest still stands, let us be careful that none of you be found to have fallen short of it. For we also have had the gospel preached to us, just as they did; but the message they heard was of no value to them, because those who heard did not combine it with faith. Now we who have believed enter that rest, just as God has said, "So I declared on oath in my anger, 'They shall never enter my rest.' "And yet his work has been finished since the creation of the world. For somewhere he has spoken about the seventh day in these words: "And on the seventh day God rested from all his work." And again in the passage above he says, "They shall never enter my rest." It still remains that some will enter that rest, and those who formerly had the gospel preached to them did not go in, because of their disobedience. Therefore God again set a certain day, calling it Today, when a long time later he spoke through David, as was said before: "Today, if you hear his voice, do not harden your hearts." For if Joshua had given them rest, God would not have spoken later about another day. There remains, then, a Sabbath-rest for the people of God; for anyone who enters God's rest also rests from his own work, just as God did from his. Let us, therefore, make every effort to enter that rest, so that no one will fall by following their example of disobedience. For the word of God is living and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart. Nothing in all creation is hidden from God's sight. Everything is uncovered and laid bare before the eyes of him to whom we must give account. Therefore, since we have a great high priest who has gone through the heavens, Jesus the Son of God, let us hold firmly to the faith we profess. For we do not have a high priest who is unable to sympathize with our weaknesses, but we have one who has been tempted in every way, just as we are—yet was without sin. Let us then approach the throne of grace with confidence, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help us in our time of need." Hebrews 4

No comments: