Monday, March 31, 2008

I Want To Be A Plate Of Chilli Crabs!

Yesterday and today, dinner for me has been very sumptuous. Last evening I was at Hog's Breath Cafe (Vivocity) with some siblings-in-Christ and their children. We all had steaks, brownies with ice-cream and apple crumble with ice-cream. Praise the Lord for the time spent with every one of them.

Just about an hour ago, I cooked for my family chilli crabs. Mum called me in the afternoon to hint to me she has cravings for this particular dish. I left work earlier as I needed to do two things: one was to check out some camera lenses in town and the other was to buy some Sri Lankan crabs.

The five of us with our bare hands dug into the hot and spicy crustaceans and it was truly finger licking good. Who says that phrase is only meant for chicken from KFC? Oops! I think lately I have something against Kentucky Fried Chicken - I guess soon I will see a lawyer's letter sueing me for always picking on them. Haha.

Anyway, while I was cooking, I realised that there are always vital ingredients (like garlic, salt, sugar, etc) needed to make a delicious dish - without them no matter how expensive the crabs can be, they will never taste nice. One without the other basically makes the dish imbalance.

I guess the above application can be paralleled to the life of a Christian. There need to have certain fundamental disciplines to make one's walk holistic - prayer, the Word of God, fellowship and service. I have heard of siblings-in-Christ sharing before that they only need to pray and that is enough; others told me fellowship should suffice.

It is good that they are doing at least one aspect of a Christian lifestyle but to strengthen it and to make one's foundation strong, other disciplines are required too.

Let us all persevere and desire to practise the four areas I mentioned above: prayer allows us to speak to God about our lives, both the good and the bad sides of it and it also gives us the opportunity to listen to what He has to say to us; sometimes it may not be audible but one sure way in which we know He will speak is through His Word (the Bible). Hence, it is important for us to study His Word daily. If not, we will not be able to know what God's will is for us in our pilgrim's journey; God also speaks through our siblings-in-Christ. It is also crucial for us to account our lives to one another so that we can keep each other in step; service allows us to apply what we have learnt and heard from God in the ministries we have committed ourselves into. It also allows us to bless others what God has blest us with.

On top of all these, there is another practice which I incorporate in my communion with God daily - praise. It allows me to give thanks to God in all circumstances, though of course it is a struggle when I am going through a lousy patch. But if I try to do so despite of the difficulty, it allows me to see trials in perspective and it also allows to me to be at peace, knowing that I am not fighting life's struggles alone.

What I have shared so far sound as if they are easy to do. Nope! Not at all! But I am not going to give up in doing what is good for me. I want to be a delicious plate of chilli crabs where all the basic ingredients are present. :)

Here's looking forward to a wonderful week ahead! Need to also remind myself to eat healthily and moderately. Difficult feat but I will try to control. Haha.

"His divine power has given us everything we need for life and godliness through our knowledge of him who called us by his own glory and goodness. Through these he has given us his very great and precious promises, so that through them you may participate in the divine nature and escape the corruption in the world caused by evil desires. For this very reason, make every effort to add to your faith goodness; and to goodness, knowledge; and to knowledge, self-control; and to self-control, perseverance; and to perseverance, godliness; and to godliness, brotherly kindness; and to brotherly kindness, love. For if you possess these qualities in increasing measure, they will keep you from being ineffective and unproductive in your knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ. But if anyone does not have them, he is nearsighted and blind, and has forgotten that he has been cleansed from his past sins. Therefore, my brothers, be all the more eager to make your calling and election sure. For if you do these things, you will never fall, and you will receive a rich welcome into the eternal kingdom of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ." 2 Peter 1:3-11

No comments: