Monday, March 19, 2012

Faith Is Spelt "R-I-S-K"

Oswald Chambers said, "A life of faith is not a life of one glorious mountaintop experience after another, like soaring on eagle's wings, but is a life of day-in and day-out consistency; a life of walking without fainting."

His words and also a verse from Isaiah 40:31 reminded me yet again that my walk with God is not based on feelings. It is about consistency. It is about perseverance.

It is about putting Him pre-eminent - always first! Our thoughts, our words, our decisions - basically every part of us must be led by Him. This does not sound logical in the world we live in today where we are taught to take control of our lives but I guess this is where we need to learn to go against the flow. We must remember that it is not us leading Him. In many instances of our lives, we do that. He is not our slave. He is our God!

As I was pondering on today's reading, it dawned upon me that many times we are unhappy about life because we make decisions without seeking God first. We expect Him to bless us in what we have decided but not all the time, we will get what we want. God does not work that way. He is not our genie in the lamp.

Oswald Chambers further mentioned that "living a life of faith means never knowing where you are being led. But it does mean loving and knowing the One who is leading. It is literally a life of faith, not of understanding and reason - a life of knowing Him who calls us to go."

Do I dare to go into the unknown with only one known fact which is my acknowledgement of Jesus Christ as my Lord and Saviour. My honest answer is no but I would like it to be a yes and I guess that is the challenge for me. If my God is all-knowing and I know He loves me, why then should I be afraid to live a life of faith?

There are many areas in my life or decisions that I am still in the process of making which I, of course, hope God would approve of but deep down I also know He does not operate that way. The move now is whether am I willing to let them go when I know it is a clear no-no from Him. It is my prayer that I would.

Well, it remains to be seen and time will tell, I guess. May His name be glorified in the way I live my life! :)

As a friend mentioned in his FaceBook posting - "Faith is Spelt R-I-S-K."

In the morning I was out at Sungei Buloh Wetland Reserves to test out the camera equipment loaned to us. Weather was not that conducive - it was drizzling and the lighting was bad. Doing nature photography should not include flash as much as possible. Because of that, many of the photos did not turn out well. We may have to come again on a clearer day. Hopefully better results will be produced then.

It was off to campus next as I needed to drop something off in office and also to give some instructions to my secretary as I will be away on a leaders' retreat from Wednesday to Saturday.

I came home with a headache. I guess I did not have enough water. After hydrating myself and taking a nap, I woke up fine again. Praise God.

After that I did some housework. Though I have a domestic helper now, I must remember that she is only human and the load needs to be shared regardless. That said, the bedsheets were changed, the floor vacuumed and the laundry done.

I went out for a while to look for a battery grip for my camera but I was informed that it has not been released by Canon and it will take a while before I can get my hand on it. Well, I guess I will make do with what I have for now.

I wanted to ride but it drizzled so there goes my plan to do so. Perhaps tomorrow I will make another attempt before leaving for the retreat. :)

No comments: