Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Trusting My God Who Holds The Future

I just finished a couple of housework. I did the laundry, swept the floor and ironed a mountain of clothes from the previous wash. I was initially hesitant to do them all as I was tired after coming back from a day of outing with the youths from my church to Sentosa.

Anyway, my approach to doing work is this - why procrastinate and suffer? I might as well just complete them now and enjoy myself after that.

That said, housework is done and I can now sit in the comfort of my room and blog some thoughts.

It has been a tough week as my brother and I have been trying to prepare grandma for her physio-therapy sessions which commenced on Tuesday. She was unable to stand on Tuesday but yesterday she was able to do so for a while. She was also able to sit on the chair. To me, that is progress as she had been bedridden since the first day of hospitalisation.

Though she is complaining that the operated area is still painful and uncomfortable, she is able to move that leg on her own without the aid of the nurses or any of the family members.

She is also less dependent on painkillers and anti-depressant medication. Her sun-down dementia does not seem to deteriorate. Praise God for that as well.

All the above-mentioned look positive but I must say that going through them is not easy. I am tired physically, mentally and emotionally. On top of that, I have to take care of mum and dad. I am glad that mum is recovering well though she is feeling a little restless at home.

There are still a couple of outstanding matters which I need to look into: one is to look for a community hospital for grandma. This is to allow her to do her physio-therapy and also to recuperate. I also need to look for a domestic helper which proves to be quite a headache. I prefer one from Indonesia because of the language as grandma speaks Malay but then they are quite expensive and limited. I am also considering helpers of other nationalities and this is where I am praying for God to give me discernment and wisdom in my decision-making.

Anyway, these are some inconveniences I have to go through but they will all come to pass soon.

During this period, it is easy for me to be engrossed in dealing with home matters but when I was spending time praying some time last week, I was reminded to go easy and do other activities away from home so as to keep my sanity as well as to just be refreshed from time to time.

Well, last week I did just that - meeting a dear friend to have dinners, watch a movie, do a little shopping and also cycling. I basically enjoyed the time with her.

I was so happy when I cycled for about 60km on Monday. I have not done it for close to a month already. My friend and I cycled all the way to Dempsey Road where we had our breakfast at Jones the Grocer. We then checked out a few new restaurants in the vicinity. Next was to cycle along Orchard Road before heading to StarBucks at The Playground in East Coast Park for a coffee break. We also took the time to read the papers and magazines provided by the cafe. After drinking our Macchiato and reading, we cycled some more before calling a day by having lunch at this restaurant called Claypot Fun at The Playground. The food, recommended by my friend, was good!!! :) We ate and chatted about our friends' kids as in how cute they are but also acknowledging the difficulty of parenthood.

Well, I am already looking forward to the next cycling session but I am not sure when as yet.

Oh yah, I received an email just now and it was about my terms of employment. I realised that I am only due back office on 9 January 2012 and not 3 January. It was a pleasant news as that would give me more time to deal with home matters and also to take that period to rest. Praise God for that!

Before I key off, I want to share that I do not know what the future holds in terms of the physical well-being of grandma and my parents but one thing I know is that they are all in the good hands of my Father in heaven. I am reminding myself that there is no point to worry so much about things I cannot predict but to put my hope on the One who holds the future and the One who has been faithful and good in my life. He has seen me through many difficult times in my life and He will continue to do so. That is why I am thankful to Him for even the littlest thing because He is a God who cares about everything.

To Him be the glory! :)

No comments: