Friday, December 16, 2011

Struggling Together

It has been an exhausting experience since coming back from Cambodia on Wednesday. In fact throughout my seven days there my mind was not at peace because on the first day when the mission team arrived in Phnom Penh, my brother messaged to inform me that grandma has been admitted into hospital due to a fractured hip.

I already suspected something was not right with her when I was about to leave for the airport. I noticed she was limping badly and I asked dad to monitor her.

I am now in the hospital waiting for grandma to go for her operation. She is placed on the waiting list as there was an emergency case and that had to be attended to first. I hope the wait will not be too long as she seems to be getting anxious by the hour.

I have spending a lot of time praying. I asked God to guide the surgeons' hands and that in the course of the surgery, there will not be complications of stroke or lung/urine infections due to grandma's old age. She will also be on local anesthesia and I pray her eyes will be fixed on Jesus and not on the surgery.

I have been running around, meeting doctors to discuss about the best treatment for grandma; going to the hospital's business centre to settle the cost of the operation. I had to also make enquiries with maid agencies to see which maid to engage so that grandma's physical needs will be taken care of.

I am actually quite disappointed that in the past one week, no one dared made any decision. Apparently the main reason was whether it was worth it to send grandma for the operation due to her old age and also whether it was worth it spending so much on the whole procedure!

When I came back, I had to put my foot down and bring to attention that money should not be the deciding factor as to whether grandma should go for the surgery or not. She may be 87 years old but she deserves every right to live comfortably. It is sad that in times like this when a decision needs to be made fast that everyone is caught up with rationalizing whether it is cost effective or not. This is a life we are talking about!

All these does not help that I have to also look into the needs of my mum who is hospitalized too due to urinal tract infection. She is recuperating in an isolation ward. I pray she will be discharged soon.

I posted a thought on FaceBook just now - I am basically thankful to God for the fellowship of my siblings-in-Christ because in times of need, they are there to pray and encourage me. This makes my struggles easier to bear. Praise the Lord for them all!

I would like to blog about the mission trip but not now. There are so much to share and I will find the time to do soon.

I shall end here. I do not know when all these will end but I'm trusting God to pull me and every one at home one day at a time.

No comments: