Friday, July 10, 2009

Enjoy And Cherish Life

I am blogging this in StarBucks after spending some time at Borders, reading magazines on cameras and mobile-phones. I was also at the Photography section and was immersed in the numerous books on this topic.

As I was reading on, it got me interested in Wedding Photography and I bought a book on this. Thanks to a brother-in-Christ who gave me a Borders gift-card on my birthday. I got 20% off due to a print-out discount voucher which Borders sent me via email. On top of that I got another 10% off as I am a preferred card member. Upon payment, I was informed that the membership card had expired last month but the staff still gave me the extra discount. Praise God for him!

In the end, I paid a small amount for an expensive book! I cannot wait to read up on the professional tips featured in there and hope this would aid me should I do more wedding photography in future. :)

During this period of break from work, with the main purpose of taking care of mum who is still recuperating, it has also given me opportunities to do other things which I love: doing ministry (especially missions); cooking; reading on topics of interest like photography, weddings, computers, mobile-phones, etc; photography especially macro-photography (I have decided to do this once a week); wedding coordinations (four this year and two in the early part of next year); meeting up with friends.

The above-mentioned reminded me that there is more to life than just working and selling one's soul to the company. Though companies would love to have such staff but one cannot deny that he should also have a life outside work.

Though many will find me crazy, I have decided that when I go back to work again, I would like to opt for a four-day week (I was actually thinking of a three-day work-week) so that I can use the one extra free day to do all of the above interests. I pray my boss will agree to that (even if that would mean a pay-cut). I know I can still deliver though I am working four days less in a month.

I have friends telling me that I should slog first when I am young so that I have a reasonable kitty in my bank to enjoy an early retirement. As much as that sounds logical, I do not really subscribe to the idea as I believe at every stage of one's life, there is something for him to do and enjoy which at other stages, it may not be possible anymore.

One example is one's health. Yes, I can work hard and be a slave to my company when I am younger but who can guarantee me that I will enjoy life when I am older? What happens if I am inflicted with a disease and succumbed to it? Then all the savings I have would come to naught.

Well, I am at peace having made this decision regarding work. I am sure God will provide regardless of whether I am on a four-day or five-day work-week. :)

I did a cook-out for the church office staff on Wednesday, Praise God the laksa dish was cleared in a matter of an hour by 15 persons - 6kg of noodles, two pots (one big and one medium) of gravy, 2kg of prawns, 1kg of cockles, 1kg of bean-sprouts, 8 big fish-cakes, 2 cucumbers, one container of chillies, one container of laksa leaves, 50 fried bean-curds, 20 kuniyaku jellies and one Peranakan layered cake (done by a brother-in-Christ).

Well, all thanks to grandma for teaching me cooking. It is always a joy when I see friends enjoy the dish I cooked. I pray the Lord will continue to teach me more on this so that I can continue to bless others. Haha. :)

I shall end here for now. Got a couple of stuff to prepare.

God is always good!

"I thank my God every time I remember you. In all my prayers for all of you, I always pray with joy because of your partnership in the gospel from the first day until now, being confident of this, that he who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus. It is right for me to feel this way about all of you, since I have you in my heart; for whether I am in chains or defending and confirming the gospel, all of you share in God's grace with me. God can testify how I long for all of you with the affection of Christ Jesus. And this is my prayer: that your love may abound more and more in knowledge and depth of insight, so that you may be able to discern what is best and may be pure and blameless until the day of Christ, filled with the fruit of righteousness that comes through Jesus Christ—to the glory and praise of God." Philippians 1:3-11

No comments: