Friday, July 17, 2009

Christians For A Cause

I watched a documentary late last night entitled "Stars for a Cause" by Mediacorp's Channel U. The country featured was China where there were scenes of children not having the luxuries of education, basic hygiene and parental love.

It was timely for me to watch this because yesterday I was complaining about many things: what and where to eat for dinner and when I could not decide on one, my mood changed for the worse; not happy with the way my family members and I behave (always taking each other for granted); angry with the phone bill I received where I had to pay an extra $47.24 because I failed to cancel a mobile line which was given to me free for 12 months and now that the promotion has expired, the telco began charging me for it. On top of that, I realised when I was given a new mobile-phone on my birthday by my sister, I forgot to de-activate an auto data download function where each kilo-byte costs me 1.03 cents which amounted to $28.24; being angry with the wireless@sg service for failing to connect.

I think if the above complaints are mad.e known to the children featured in the programme, they would have concluded how 'lucky' I am for having so many luxuries. They would probably wonder too why is it that I am still complaining when I have such a good life.

I felt ashamed when I pondered on the above-mentioned. I guess those who read this blog would agree that many in Singapore are spoilt and that we complain too much unnecessarily: not liking school or work (where many are uneducated and jobless); not liking their parents (where many are orphans); hate their hairstyles (where many are losing theirs to cancer treatment); not having enough clothes or shoes or make-up or accessories (where many do not even have a piece of cloth to warm their bodies); sanctuary too cold (where many do not even have a church to call their own); church Sunday bulletins too much announcements or fonts not nice (when what is more important is praying for the people involved in the ministries being done); car too small or not of certain luxurious brands (where many have to walk miles to reach a destination); house not big enough or located in a prime area (where many do not even have a roof over their heads; even if they do, they are riddled with holes); not pampered with enough spas, massages, pedicures or medicures (where many are covered with sores because of the lack of hygiene); computers too slow (when many do not even have a pen and paper to write); etc; etc; etc!

The complaints of humans are never-ending.

Sometimes when I ask God to bless my family and I, I wonder whether that is the right thing to do because when I have more, I complain I do not have enough.

I think I need to start counting my blessings and cease complaining. It is also time that I do more for others who are in need than to dwell in my discontentment which many times are uncalled for.

Being a child of God and also very involved in the work of missions, I need to be a Christian for a cause. Only when I learn to bless others will I see how blest I am and stop complaining but be thankful. Frankly I have enough, it is time to give to those who do not have enough.

Before I key off... I just met an elderly church member who happened to step into the church office. I asked her how she is and she said she is not okay. When I heard that answer, my heart sank and became heavy. A prompting came to me that she is not doing well physically. I wanted to pray for her but she needed to rush home as someone is giving her a ride. Perhaps I will do so on Sunday when I see her again. May God bless and keep her for now.

Time to go.

"If anyone teaches false doctrines and does not agree to the sound instruction of our Lord Jesus Christ and to godly teaching, he is conceited and understands nothing. He has an unhealthy interest in controversies and quarrels about words that result in envy, strife, malicious talk, evil suspicions and constant friction between men of corrupt mind, who have been robbed of the truth and who think that godliness is a means to financial gain. But godliness with contentment is great gain. For we brought nothing into the world, and we can take nothing out of it. But if we have food and clothing, we will be content with that. People who want to get rich fall into temptation and a trap and into many foolish and harmful desires that plunge men into ruin and destruction. For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evil. Some people, eager for money, have wandered from the faith and pierced themselves with many griefs. But you, man of God, flee from all this, and pursue righteousness, godliness, faith, love, endurance and gentleness. Fight the good fight of the faith. Take hold of the eternal life to which you were called when you made your good confession in the presence of many witnesses." 1 Timothy 6:3-12

No comments: