Saturday, February 18, 2012

What Is The Point?

For those of you reading this blog and want to fault me for being rude or unfilial for what I am going to write... so be it. I just need to let the frustration out! If not, I will simply go insane.

Sometimes I do not know what is the point of putting in so much effort taking care of my grandma and parents but in the end I am at fault for occasionally advising them not to do certain things which are detrimental to their health.

The worst thing is that my brother and I have to bear the consequences when things happened.

Sometimes I wonder whether grandma's ability to walk again is a bane or blessing. Of course I would want to see it as the latter but lately she has been giving me such great headaches - refusing to tell me or someone else at home that she is going to the toilet or anywhere else in the home. She basically needs to be accompanied at all times just in case she falls.

Well, fall she did just a few days ago. How? Because she went out of the room on her own, fell and knocked her head against the chair. The back of her head is now blue-black. Thank God the swell has subsided. She is also experiencing a bit of sore around her hip area where the operated part is. Sigh.

If I really want to, I can only say she is to be blamed for it.

Then for mum, she is hospitalised for urinal tract infection. Last December she was admitted for the same reason. I thought she would be more sensible and understanding because she is much younger than grandma but it is not to be. During the trip to Genting Highlands with my dad and uncle, she did not drain her urine as often as she should and the worst part is that she used back the same tube which was not stored in a sterile manner. This then caused the infection.

Again, if I really want to, she is simply to be blamed for her current plight.

As for dad, he knows he has diabetes but he does not take his medication regularly, goes out and eat often and still drinks 3-in-1 coffee which is not good for diabetics. The areas around his ankles are beginning to blacken. I am worried simply looking at the condition but he does not seem to.

Who is to be blamed should one day his legs be amputated or his condition deterioriates? He is.

The last member, though not human, is my dog. Though I cannot blame her but grandma and my parents have secretly been feeding her the new year goodies which are lying around the house and she is happily eating the tidbits. Just now, to my horror, I found grandma feeding her nuts which is a no-no as it would kill the dog. This explains why a few nights ago Sasha was vomiting and purging. There were blood in the puke and stools. Thank God nothing serious happened. Sigh again!

I do not know how else to handle the three old folks. Sometimes I feel like giving up and just let them be but I cannot. But when I care, they find me a nuisance, a nag. They have never considered how they have created so much inconveniences for my brother and me.

Both of us have to make time in the midst of our work to cook for them, do the housework and look after their physical needs. If they listen and are appreciative, it would have made our responsibilities as a grandson and son more joyful but lately we are not feeling it.

I am basically tired and at my wit's end.

The question that always comes to mind is what is the point? What is the point of nursing them back to good health but in the end, they do not take care of themselves and fall sick again?! In and out of hospital they have taken turns to do so. Last December, two of them decided to be admitted at the same time and the best part is while I am away. My poor brother had to handle everything at home and in hospital.

Whenever I asked myself whether it is worth it, I can only pray and ask God to help me persevere as I carry out my duties at home. I also pray that He will grant me patience and self-control because there were times I just felt like exploding. Praise the Lord that He has heard my prayers in these areas.

Now I understand the headaches of having to handle a greying population and I have three to deal with.

Though so far I have shared all the unpleasant areas, time and again I reminded myself to focus on the positive side. I will continue to do so though I have to admit there will come another time when I will again pour out my woes like what I am doing now on this blog.

Anyway, time to end here. My brother just arrived. I will go out for a while and catch a breather.

No comments: