Sunday, December 09, 2012

The Gift of Friendship

Finally home after being out the whole day. Majority of the time was spent in church with the Youth Camp Committee as we did our final planning and preparations for the biggest-ever camp we are organising. Praise the Lord!

I am very excited about the camp. Since I am in-between jobs and having to be home most of the time to take care of dad, I spent a lot of time praying towards this event, God has impressed upon my heart that this generation of youths will be ones who will step up and stand out from those in the previous generations. No more about their lives being caught up with the pressures of studies and the strife to do well. No more about being drowned by the lures and patterns of this world.

Instead these young lives will learn to put God first and honour Him in every area of their lives. When they are able to get these fundamentals right, everything they do is no more about what the world tells them to or pursue but letting God lead them all the way. No more leading the defeated lifestyle but one of victory! This will be a TRANSFORMED generation!

Well, though  I have been quite exhausted having to take care of dad and also doing all the housework the past two weeks, I just feel so refreshed when I think about the camp! Even though I will be the oldest in the camp, I go not with the attitude that I know more than the campers but basically have the sole desire to know God deeper. Even where I am now at 40 years of age, there are still areas where I need to be victorious over and I look forward to what God is going to teach me from 13 to 16 December 2012. :)

That said, now to the main objective of this blog...

The past two weeks since dad's discharge, I truly want to give thanks for providing me with friends to support me and also offer help in various ways.

As the milk for tube-feeding is not cheap, a dear brother-in-Christ managed to source them for me at a discounted price. I was even more ministered to by him when I realised on the day he delivered the 8 cartons of milk that he was feeling unwell. He chose to collect the orders first before going to the clinic.

Prior to the above-mentioned, another sister-in-Christ also managed to find another source where I can purchase the milk at a discounted price but it did not come through as the order needed some time for it to be processed. Then I needed the milk urgently as those given by the hospital were running dry.

Then there were other friends who offered to help me do the tube-feeding should there be times when I am unable to. Some messaged to say that they will be praying for my family. Some even offered to fetch my dad to and from any medical appointments should a need arises.

I am truly overwhelmed and touched by all these acts of love and kindness! Praise the Lord for each one of these souls... going beyond their comfort zones and being there for me.

These two weeks I have learnt much from them about showing hospitality. That is why I told God I will want to do something for my friends as well. I basically devoted much of my free time, especially in-between my dad's feeding time, to pray for my friends and it has been such great joy!

I also used some occasions to cut and style friends' hair, a skill I acquired more than 10 years ago when a friend signed me up to go on a hairstyling course with her when I was recovering from my kidney injury. Praise God for many of them who trusted their lovely locks in my hands. They have allowed me to hone my skills and not put what I have learnt to waste. In fact this skill has allowed me to bless kids with cancer, where friends actually donated their hair (10 inches at least) so that wigs can be made for these children who lost their hair to chemotherapy. It is also wonderful to be able to go to an old folks' home to trim the patients' hair.

Well, I thought this period of care-giving to dad will be a boring one but God has proven me wrong. In the midst of the monotony of having to feed him every three hours, friends have been there for me. I am able to also bless them with what God has given me. Glory to Him for that! I also have the opportunities to catch up with lots of reading which have enriched my life and using the lessons learnt to encourage others. :)

Truly, friendship is one of the greatest gift one can have. God knows we cannot function on our own at times and that is where friends come in to help one another. This makes our life's journey much easier to trod. :) Friends also make me feel good simply by their acceptance of me for who I am.

Time for me to hang the laundry.

Good night, world! :)


"Two are better than one,
    because they have a good return for their labor:
10 
If either of them falls down,
    one can help the other up.
But pity anyone who falls
    and has no one to help them up.
11 
Also, if two lie down together, they will keep warm.
    But how can one keep warm alone?
12 
Though one may be overpowered,
    two can defend themselves.
A cord of three strands is not quickly broken."


--- Ecclesiastes 4:9-12

No comments: