Thursday, December 20, 2012

Precious Moments

It has been 4 days since dad left us. The wake is now into its third day. During this period, I spent a considerable amount of time next to dad's casket, thanking him for all that he had done for me the past 40 years, recalling the good and bad times we had, seeking his forgiveness for the hurts and disappointments I have caused him occasionally and also letting him know about the numerous friends who came to visit him during this period of bereavement.

I know it is a bit too late to say this but this period has been one of the rare moments when I actually spent so much time with him. The only regret is that I am doing it when he is actually already gone. I wish I could say all the above-mentioned to him when he was still alive.

My dad's passing has opened my eyes to one thing - make it count while it is still possible.

Many of us have been drowning ourselves with work and studies. A considerable number of us spent quite a fair bit of our free time on the computer, shopping, clubbing, etc. I am not saying all these are wrong but the reflection here is basically on how we can cut down on these and take some time to spend precious moments with our loved ones, especially those in our family.

Some may say that we are already spending time since we live under the same roof and seeing each other every day. I think the focus here is "quality time."

How many us actually tell our parents and/or children, "I love you." How many of us say "thank you" when our family members have done something for us? How many of us actually sit down with our parents and/or children to listen to their deepest thoughts and struggles? How many of us actually sought forgiveness when a hurt has been inflicted on another family member? How many of us actually pray for one another in the family or, to take a step further, to pray with one another?

Though dad is no more with the family, I still have mum and grandma living with me. I will from here on take time to be with them and simply to let them know that they mean a whole world to me.

Do not wait till it is too late.

That said, it has been a tiring period for me. I have not rested well since the youth camp which I attended. Though I managed to catch some sleep here and there, they were not really proper ones as my mind has been on active mode since dad's passing.

I am truly blest with the many friends who came to support me - simply spending time with me, praying for me and buying me cups and cups of coffee so that I can have the boost to keep me going. Haha. I am specially touched when I heard some youths and youth leaders actually volunteered their time to keep vigil at night so that my family and I can have sufficient sleep. God bless these precious individuals!

Well, two more days left. As the day draws nearer to the funeral, my heart gets sadder because I know for a fact that he will not be with us anymore physically. The comfort is that he is in a better place now.

I shall stop here. Another long day ahead but God will be my strength. :)

No comments: