Sunday, December 30, 2012

Enjoying The Simple Things In Life

Today for me is basically to enjoy the simple things in life.

I went to another church to worship God. It was a refreshing time and it is one thing I have decided to do once a month from next year onwards.

After service, I went to a park to spend some time in reflection. 2012 is coming to an end and I thought it would be appropriate for me to just look back and thank God for everything that had happened - both the pleasant and unpleasant adventures. I am still reflecting and I will write in detail either on the last day of this year (which I just realised is tomorrow) or the first day of the new year.

Dad came to mind constantly. I miss him dearly. It is almost two weeks since he passed away but every time I come home, it feels as if he is still there, in his room. Then I would picture him coming out with his walking stick to ask whether I have eaten.

A couple of times in the morning, I would jump out of bed, thinking that I needed to tube-feed dad. And when I went out to the living room, it then occurred to me that he has gone to be with the Lord. All the apparatus for his tube-feeding are still on the table. There are still four cartons of milk left unopened. It would have been enough to last him till his medical review which was to be on 3 January 2013.

Anyway, I am sure dad is having a great time in heaven, celebrating Jesus' birthday on Christmas Day, singing with the other angels and dancing (which he liked to do when he was younger) and of course the feasting - I hope he will eat as much as he can because here on earth, he was only fed with milk in his last days.

Well, the consolation whenever I think of dad is that I will reunite with him again when my time here on earth is up. Death as much as it is painful is also worth celebrating because it takes us away from this world of suffering to a place of eternal joy. Frankly I am looking forward to it because there were many whom I knew and cherished who are there now... cannot wait to catch up with them. :)

Below is a poem I wrote while reflecting on the above-mentioned...

Death, oh death, as painful as it is,
does not take away a hope such as this -
that one day a reunion will happen
with those who are now in heaven.

While we await for that moment to arrive,
on earth a close communion with God we'll strive.
Family and friends we will learn to cherish
So that no regrets we'll carry when we perish.

Let us learn to live our lives simply
Because that is what matters eventually.

Dad's departure has taught me to enjoy the simple things in life and they are simply my family and friends. One can earn as much money as he can or sell his soul to a company but when his time is up, it is still family and friends who matters. :)

Well, praise God for the above reminder.

in the afternoon, I met a friend for lunch... someone whom I have not caught up much for a while. I enjoyed every moment with her at an Italian restaurant which has been a favourite place for me lately. After that it was off to my favourite cafe where we had tea and desserts. I am sure those who are close to me will know which these two places are. :)

Well, though we just ate and talked, that meant a whole world to me and I look forward to more of this with her in the near future. :)

As mum needed some groceries, my friend and I went to a supermarket next. For the rest of evening, I decided to spend it with mum and grandma. I cooked for them one of their favourite food - prawn noodles! All three of us had a sumptuous meal together. Dad was in our mind and there at the dining table I could feel his presence with us. Well, he will always be close to our hearts... no doubt about that!

What a great day I had! Praise God!!! :)

No comments: