Wednesday, March 03, 2010

Hello From Chilly London!

It is 9.15pm here. After 4 days here in London, I thought I jot down some thoughts. The weather has been cold, temperature ranging between 1 to 10 degrees Celsius. On Friday when I arrived it was raining and it was the same the next day. Yesterday was the crossover from winter to spring. Apparently spring came early as it was initially scheduled to arrive in mid-March. The past two days have been sunny but it was still freezing.

I love the weather here. The thought of having to go back to Singapore in the sweltering heat just saddens me. My sister told me that the temperature back home has heat a high of 35 degrees Celsius. That is scary!

Anyway, God has been good throughout the trip. The flight went well though it was long. I almost died of boredom towards the last leg. In the plane, I was a little concerned as to whether the match tickets between Liverpool and Blackburn would arrive at the hotel in time or at all. During check-in, I enquired and praise the Lord they were delivered to the front-desk.

It was off to Liverpool on Sunday morning. I decided to go early as I wanted to see a little of the city centre. Then it was off to Anfield Stadium. I wanted to buy some souvenirs from the shop but as it was match-day, the place was crowded. In the end I did not buy any.

It feels good to be back at Anfield watching the Reds play. The last time I watched them 'live' was back in 1998 when I was studying in Cambridge. Then it was against Manchester United which I paid a bomb!!! 300 pounds and the exchange rate was a whopping 3.1!!!

The match was alright - it was not as exciting but it still felt good to be in the stadium. Haha. My friend and I left early as he needed to be back in London as he has an appointment with his course superviser in the morning. Anyway, glad the Reds won 2-1 and it was both nice goals - each from Steven Gerrard and Fernando Torres.

The past two days have been a good time spent on my own and also with the Lord. I basically did photography - taking pictures of Big Ben, the Parliament House, Westminster Abbey, the London Eye, the River Thames, Buckingham Palace and Green Park where I did some nature photography.

At Buckingham Palace there was an incident where this guy who seemed to be a tourist decided to climb on this pillar of one of the gates which is about three-storey high. He seemed to be troubled as he tore what seemed to be a letter. Then two police cars arrived. The man was instructed to come down. While he was attempting to do so through a hole in the statue, he got stuck for about 15 minute. He decided to try again by slipping through his clothes and he was successful but this was where many and I feared he may lose balance and fall off the pillar. Thank God nothing happened. Three fire engines came and with the aid of a ladder the man was down. By then there were four fire engines and six police cars.

Anyway, while I was in the park walking I prayed for my loved ones especially my family back home. It is so weird that when I was with them, I wanted to be away from them but now that I am here in London, I miss them loads. God spoke to me about how I should continue to bear with my parents and grandma though they are now not as healthy as before and because of this they have become sort of an inconvenience for my brother and I.

It is precisely this attitude that I need to repent from because there should not be any entertainment of thoughts that my parents and grandma should ever be seen as inconveniences because God has given us each other for a reason and that is to bear with each other no matter how tough the going may be.

It was a selfish thought on my part to have behaved that way - that was why I was so frustrated and angry. It is easy to write the above thoughts but I will try to change my attitude so as to obey God and also to build my family.

I went to Cambridge this morning and I was there till the late afternoon. I wanted to see whether the university town has changed after 12 years. Well, most looked the same though certain landmarks like King's College is going through some upgrading.

I visited Trinity College and managed to meet some teaching staff whom I got to know during my stint back in 1998. I am surprised some of them could still recognise me. Haha. Probably now I am much rounder. Talk about that, I think I have put on quite a bit since arriving. I have been eating more and drinking more carbonated drinks. Maybe it is because the weather has been cold but I guess I can exercise more discipline and control my diet.

When I was walking along the streets of Cambridge and also while I was at Duxford Imperial War Museum, I gave some thoughts to my desire to serve as a missionary in Camboda. I do not know exactly why but in my heart I just feel that I am not ready. Maybe it is because of my concerns for my family especially my ailing parents and grandma. With my brother getting married some time this year and moving out of the family, this adds on to the concern.

Anyway, I shall continue to seek the Lord on this as I continue to spend time with Him the next few days.

Okie, I shall stop here. I am tired.

I will write more when I have the chance to.

Good morning to all back in Singapore and good night London!

No comments: