Saturday, August 15, 2009

Aspire To Inspire Before We Expire

Remember yesterday when I mentioned perhaps the dream where I was running away from the T-Rex was interpreted by me as running away from something? I gave quite a bit of thought to that and there is one thing I am definitely running away from.

That one thing is that of going deep in my fellowship with my siblings-in-Christ and in my interaction with people outside church. This is where I mentioned in my past blogs which showed the introvert side of me.

Though I may be involved in ministries like missions, youth and music where they are very people-oriented, as much as I can I would love to steer clear of interacting much with people. It is very tiring in the first place and it can also be very discouraging when people you are trying to reach out to shut you out completely.

I attended a talk this morning where it dealt with relationships with people. As much as I am discouraged that there is superficiality in today's Christian fellowship, I was reminded and challenged that I should not just dwell in misery but to do something about it.

A statement (paraphrased) by Socrates, the philosopher, opened my eyes yet again, It says, "He who wants to move the world must first move himself." How true that is. Many times Christians want to move the world when they see so many things that need to be transformed but when they are overwhelmed by the immense work to be done, they just talk about them but never act upon them.

In the example I stated above where I mentioned about Christians being superficial - if I want to change that, I have to go deep first myself. As I was praying about it after the talk, I told God that it is not easy for me since I have to drag myself to open up to others but I also told Him that I want to. Someone needs to start no matter how difficult the going may be.

I am praying those who are reading my blog especially the siblings-in-Christ from my church to start living out as a church (where lives are constantly being transformed by being interested in each other's walk) instead of playing church (by merely going through the motion and once in a while giving statistics to show that we have done this and that).

As for being a minister in the market-place, I also need to show others that I am interested in their lives by being real myself. Many in this world (myself included) are wearing a mask as they do not wish people to invade their privacy. As much as I respect that, Christians need to bring the presence of God everywhere they go - to let others know that we are genuine in wanting to know them as who they are and not judge them; to shower God's grace upon them in their struggles.

How long are we going to wait till we allow God to use us to touch the lives of others; or for that matter to let others have a chance touch our lives? Do not wait too long before it is too late. As the blog title states. "Let us aspire to inspire before we expire." Yes we are expiring so let us make good use of our lives as God purposed it for.

Well, these were some thoughts which ran through the whole of today.

"Let us hold unswervingly to the hope we profess, for he who promised is faithful. And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds. Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another—and all the more as you see the Day approaching." Hebrews 10:23-25

"Therefore, as God's chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience. Bear with each other and forgive whatever grievances you may have against one another. Forgive as the Lord forgave you. And over all these virtues put on love, which binds them all together in perfect unity. Let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, since as members of one body you were called to peace. And be thankful. Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly as you teach and admonish one another with all wisdom, and as you sing psalms, hymns and spiritual songs with gratitude in your hearts to God. And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him." Colossians 3:12-17

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bro... had some time in Indo while waiting for someone and decided to check out your blog.. want to encourage you! Take Care! Hope your Mum is OK. Yang

Pilgrim's Progress said...

Thanks, Yang. You are Ng Tze-Yang, right? :)

My mum is doing fine since her discharge from hospital. I am still monitoring her situation.

I am praying that God will heal her completely and that she will not be admitted into hospital again.

It has been tiring for all at home but God is good in sustaining every one. :)

I hope all is well with you too.