Sunday, June 28, 2009

Each One Reach One

I am feeling super-full now after a heavy dinner with the MacRitchie Running Fellowship members at Bugis Junction Foodcourt. I had seafood pasta, afterwhich a bowl of durain, mango and pomelo dessert when we adjourned to a dessert place near the shopping centre. I shall try not to stuff myself so much in future - not too good. :(

Anyway, I had a great time with the gang after being absent for a while, having to take care of mum's health and handling home matters. Praise God for the fellowship. I also had a great time catching up with my God-son whom I was told missed me since I have not seen him for about a month.

I praise God for guiding me when I led in worship this morning at the contemporary service. It has been months since I last led. Though I felt rusty, I told God, since the start of last week, to lead me accordingly. I also reminded myself that I need not be too conscious of how I sing or what people would think of my leading because all those are not important. What matters is how I let God use me as an instrument to bring the people into His presence - basically to worship Him in spirit and in truth!

As I was soaked in worship as I stood on the chancel, there were several times when I just broke down as I praised God. It was a great time of refreshment for me and I thank God for

Today is Missions Emphasis Sunday - there was a video presentation on Operation Connect: Missions where the content was to challenge the church to see themselves as Great Commission Christians and that the work of missions is for all and not some. I was touched when I viewed the testimonies shared by some of the Children's Ministry's Team members who went on the mission trip last year. I trust that God has spoken to many hearts today!

The Assistant Pastor preached on the same subject where he mentioned that the church should be involved in a ministry of interruptions where our lives should not be so focused on ourselves, our busyness, our personal commitments that we forget to see the people who pass us by every day, be it at work or in school or in the public places. He challenged the church to bring blessings into the lives of strangers whom we come across who may be in need. Though it may inconvenient us and may cost us to part some of our material wealth, if each one can reach one, I think it is all worth the sacrifice.

God reminded me of the people whom I have come across as the pastor was preaching the above sermon - some of the intellectually handicapped working in the Coffee Bean joints, the girl in a wheelchair who sings as she wheels herself through the hawker centre in Old Airport Road, a man who goes around Plaza Singapura telling people he has lost his wallet and asked passers-by for some loose change, the aunty who sells tissue papers in the middle of a busy pedestrian crossing between Bugis Junction and Bugis Flea Market, a Malay lady standing at the NTUC Building opposite Singapore Management University offering to sell her child, the prostitutes lingering around a hawker centre in Chinatown soliciting for a sex business with some of the elderly men, the aunty selling tissue papers outside Paragon Shopping Centre, the uncle playing the er-hu in the underpass where it links Orchard MRT to Shaw Towers, etc.

I am certain if I can mention so many examples of people whom I can bless, surely there are many more whom other of my siblings-in-Christ have come across. If each one can reach one, then many of these lives will be saved. I am not even talking about sharing Christ to these individuals. Just simple acts shown to them is sufficient to let them see Christ in our lives and if they so choose God to be in their lives too, then all thanks and praise to Him!

Doing missions is not about just going overseas. There is a mission field where we are here in this island-nation. Are we doing the harvesting where it is plentiful and the workers few?

Well, I pray God can use me despite of my inadequacies and shortcomings. I will start from this moment on. Do join me! ;)

Time to sleep now. A hectic week God has seen me through, a new week I now look forward to! :)

"One day Peter and John were going up to the temple at the time of prayer—at three in the afternoon. Now a man crippled from birth was being carried to the temple gate called Beautiful, where he was put every day to beg from those going into the temple courts. When he saw Peter and John about to enter, he asked them for money. Peter looked straight at him, as did John. Then Peter said, "Look at us!" So the man gave them his attention, expecting to get something from them. Then Peter said, "Silver or gold I do not have, but what I have I give you. In the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, walk." Taking him by the right hand, he helped him up, and instantly the man's feet and ankles became strong. He jumped to his feet and began to walk. Then he went with them into the temple courts, walking and jumping, and praising God. When all the people saw him walking and praising God, they recognized him as the same man who used to sit begging at the temple gate called Beautiful, and they were filled with wonder and amazement at what had happened to him. While the beggar held on to Peter and John, all the people were astonished and came running to them in the place called Solomon's Colonnade." Acts 3:1-11

No comments: