Saturday, January 17, 2009

Gratitude And Kindness To All

I am so happy that my doggy is peeing and pooing on the new pee-tray. Yesterday I was at a pet shop in Telok Kurau, owned by a brother-in-Christ. He was the one who taught me a trick which worked almost instantly. He said my doggy needs to be confined in a smaller area so that she has no choice but to go up the tray to do her business. It is basically an instinct for her not to do it on her sleeping area, no matter how small that space is.

Well, I came home, took out one side of the metal grill and pushed it in to as close to the tray as possible and as mentioned above, it worked. Instantaneously, this princess of the house had no choice, went up on the tray and relieved herself.

I guess I will continue to train her for the next few days though my parents felt pity on her having to sleep in such a small area. Well, I explained to them that it is for the doggy's good and ours since we cannot always be cleaning her urine and faeces everywhere and every time in the house. Haha.

Yesterday was a tiring day as I was again doing more shopping: I got some new clothes for myself in anticipation of the imminent arrival of the Lunar New Year; I also needed to get some household items and foodstuffs for the festive occasion which can be a big thing for my family since grandma is staying with us.

I was very grateful to my sister who drove me around when we did the grocery-shopping at Giant Supermarket in Tampines.

Oh yah, I had a pleasant encounter with a janitor when I was at Vivocity. As mentioned in my earlier blogs, I make it a point to thank all personnel in the service industry for what they are doing for shoppers/customers like me. Yes, they are paid to do their job but that does not mean I should not show my gratitude for their services rendered.

Anyway, as I walked out of the toilet, I saw this janitor who is Chinese-speaking. I thanked him as I left and his response showed me how he has been taken for granted, I guess, almost all the time. He told me that never once has someone thanked him for a lowly job he is doing. My encouragement to him in Mandarin (surprised! surprised!) was this, "Brother, what you are doing is as important as any other job in this world." We smiled and departed our ways. I prayed for him as I walked away. May God grant this gentleman satisfaction and purpose in what he does.

I also thanked an elderly cleaner at IKEA foodcourt as he was clearing the table for my sister and I. My heart sensed that he did not feel comfortable in what he is doing as his head was always down as if he did not want people to know who he is. As he lifted his head to ask me whether he could clear two plates next to me, I quickly looked into his eyes and said "thank you." He smiled and went on with his work. I do not know how much those two words meant to him but I trust that God has affimed in him that he is doing just fine.

Make a deliberate attempt the next time you visit a shopping centre or a foodcourt or a hotel or an airport or a hospital or a school to thank the person who is serving you. Your gratitude shown to these individuals will affirm in them that what they are doing is vital and important. It should also make their day because they are definitely bound to encounter ugly shoppers/customers who always feel they have the right to everything. Though I make it a point to be grateful, I have to confess that sometimes I fall into that customer-is-always-right mentality and probably have hurt someone along the way.

Well, it is the weekend again! Yay! And wow! It is already the middle of the first month of the new year! Time flies indeed.

Time to go do some housework.

Have a restful and enjoyable weekend, everybody! :)

"If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. If I give all I possess to the poor and surrender my body to the flames, but have not love, I gain nothing. Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. Love never fails." 1 Corinthians 13:1-8

No comments: