Monday, April 02, 2012

A Restful But Troubling Off Day

I just received a shocking news that someone in a certain country will be sold to a family because her brother could not pay up a loan he took from them. It is sad that in this era which we live in, there is still such a practice. It may be a case of desperation but to sell a sibling away is still something hard to comprehend. I pray for the Lord's hand to be in this situation and that He will make a way for this family. Sigh.

I am in the midst of raising funds for two beneficiaries: St. Luke's Eldercare and St. Luke's Hospital. It is through an event called Charity Bike 'n' Blade 2012 where a group of cyclists will be riding a distance of 300km, commencing in Kuantan for the first leg and then in Rompin for the second leg and finishing in Kota Tinggi.

This is my first time participating in a long-distance event ever since I took up cycling in September 2011. What moved me to be involved is basically to put to good use the bicycle God gave me and help others in need. I have benefited a lot since I took up this sport - exercising on a regular basis and feeling fitter having lost 16kg in 5 months. I still have quite a few more kilos to shed to reach my ideal weight but what I am now is already a progress. Hallelujah!

The route from what I heard is not easy - with numerous rolling hills, powerful head-winds, fatigue, etc. Sometimes I kind of asked myself why did I have to do this. Well, I guess I shall take it as a challenge. Whether I complete the route or not is secondary. So long as I can raise some funds to help the needy, I would be more than contented. :)

Just received a friend from the airport who is in town for a night's stopover before heading for Hong Kong. He is a professor around my age but not a typical kind. He is a surfing dude from the United States of America, teaching in Brown University. We got to know each other two years ago when we attended a conference. Since then we have been corresponding regularly.

Anyway, just left the hotel after having a short chat with him. He also brought along a bicycle part for a dear friend of mine. I had to trouble him to buy it for me as it is cheaper in the U.S.. It is a waste I am unable to catch up further with him as he has a tight schedule before leaving tomorrow morning.

Well, I shall end here.

Praise God for a short week... this being Holy Week.

No comments: