Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Our Little Is Their Much

I just came in office a couple of minutes ago. I am usually not that late for work but today is an exception because of some train hiccups in the west.

Anyway, instead of getting frustrated which I found no point to as it would not help speed up the recovery process, I decided to strike up a conversation with someone in the train.

I spoke to an elderly lady, a cleaner, who was on her way to work. She shared with me that she must not be late for work as her pay would be deducted. She then went on to share that she needs the money to pay for both her husband's and her medical expenses.

I was then curious to know whether she has sought help for higher or full subsidy of her medical bills. She told me she did not know that there is such a scheme.

I quickly whipped out my iPad and surfed Tan Tock Seng Hospital's website for the Department of Care and Counselling. I gave the lady a number to call where she can speak to a Medical Social Worker about her plight.

I also suggested that she asked her son or daughter to help her contact the hospital and it was here I found out that her only child, a son, passed away when he was only 34 years old. :(

Before I alighted at Boon Lay Station, I gave the lady my name-card. I asked her to call me should she need my help to contact the hospital. She thanked me and that was where we parted our ways.

I just prayed for the lady and her husband that God will provide for them at this age when they should be enjoying life and not get so bogged down with medical expenses and all.

The above encounter is precisely one main reason why I am so enthusiastic in wanting to raise as much funds as possible for the Charity Bike 'n' Blade 2012. God has blessed me time and again in my life. Being able to cycle is also a blessing and now I want to use this blessing to bless others.

Sometimes I wish more can step up to donate because what we give means a lot to those who need the funds for their medical needs. Well, for now, I can only keep trying and praying.

Praise God for those who have already contributed and I know more will come forward in the remaining 129 days left. :)

No comments: