Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Wit's End Or Not, God Is There

Sometimes I am at my wit's end as to how to take care of my elderly parents and grandma. When I tell them something which is supposed to be beneficial for their physical well-being, they would react with a "do-not-tell-me-what-to-do" look.

As I have feared for dad not being able to control his diet during the Lunar New Year period by eating all the sweet tidbits for guests, I warned him to watch what he eats and drinks. As I cannot be there all the time to observe his every move, I have to give him the benefit of the doubt.

Well, this afternoon I took his blood glucose level and it was a whopping 15.5mmol/L. Suspecting that he has been keeping mum about his diet, I probed and he confessed that he has been eating the tidbits.

At that point, I just did not know whether I should raise my voice in disapproval or just give up because this "do-not-tell-me-what-to-do" attitude is quickly killing him! Maybe he should get another stroke just to further wake up his idea!

It is just so draining. Grandma is also going through a tough time lately as her gum is giving her a lot of pain. Sometimes she would wake up in the middle of the night groaning in pain. She went to see the doctor just now and has been prescribed some medication to counter the discomfort, I really pray God will heal her.

I do not know how long I can last handling all these old-age issues at home but I guess I have to trust God to help the family go through this transition where more than half the family is no more as independent as before.

I need to be more patient though sometimes it is just so tough but for the sake of every one, I guess I have to.

Man, I thought working is tough... taking care of old folks at home is tougher. Just handling matters at home has taken a lot of my time off to concentrate on other commitments I have, like the ministries in church and my plans for the future. I simply have no more energy to do other
things.

Though my journey so far has been tiring, I am not going to give up on my family just because three of them are well along in years. I just need to learn how to cope and I trust that God will teach me along the way.

I need to breathe and I am looking forward to my short trip to London next Friday. I wish it could have been a longer trip but I guess I need to be thankful that God is giving me this opportunity to take a break.

Well, the Lunar New Year has been quite tiring, having to entertain the many relatives who popped over but it was a great time spent with them. In some of the new year greetings I sent to friends, I encouraged them to make Jesus known to the relatives and friends whom they are visiting. I have been doing that by praying for them and letting them know that I will continue to pray for them. Well, just wanting to plan the seed first and allow God to work the rest.
I shall end here.

"Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? Shall trouble or hardship or persecution or famine or nakedness or danger or sword? No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him who loved us.” Romans 8:35 & 37

No comments: