Thursday, January 21, 2010

Three Deaths and An Accident

In one day I encountered three cases of death and one major accident involving a warehouse fire.

While I was walking towards the community centre in my estate, I saw a pair of legs sticking out of a police make-shift tent. When I asked one of the passers-by what had happened, I was told that man had a heart attack and died on the spot.

Then when I was in the bus on my way to the hospital to visit dad, I witness a warehouse fire along Upper Serangoon Road. There were several fire engines and ambulances at the scene. I just hope there were no fatalities or serious injuries.

Next was when I arrived at the ward where dad is. I noticed the bed on his left was totally empty (mattress and pillows all removed). Dad told me that the patient passed away in the middle of last night. I have been talking to his family members for the past few days and once in a while I would pray for the elderly patient.

In the afternoon while I was running some errands, I received an email from a dear English missionary to Cambodia informing me that her father had just passed away and the cremation was just two days ago.

Wow! Too many sad news to handle in one day. Once again I was reminded of how fleeting life can be.

Anyway, I just pray that God will bring comfort to the families of these individuals who have passed on. May their hearts be healed in His time.

Dad may be discharged tomorrow. It is not the suggestion of the doctors but dad's. As this is his first time being warded, I guess the death of the patient next to him and the sound of all the equipment around him are just too much for him. It is not confirmed yet that dad can come home. The doctor will inform me tomorrow when he looks at the report of dad's progress.

Well, dad is generally much better compared to the day he was sent to the Accident and Emergency Department. He is now experiencing a very sore throat. His physio-therapist is pleased with his mobility though he still has to be careful when he moves from one spot to another.

My honest opinion is that dad should remain in the hospital for a few more days but if he is unable to rest well because of the surroundings, then I guess it is better to be home. I just have to prepare myself to ensure that he is able to cope well at home without medical care by the professionals.

I should stop here as I am tired. I have been feeling this way the past few days already. Thanks be to God for sustaining the family and I! He is good all the time!!!

Good night, everyone! :)

No comments: