Wednesday, December 24, 2008

The Light Of Christ Always Shines!

On Monday, I armed myself with my camera and headed for Orchard Road to take some shots of the Christmas light-up. From Tangs Shopping Centre I walked to Plaza Singapura Shopping Centre. Along the way, there were lots of events lined up for shoppers of all ages; people of different races and religions.

I was standing in front of Ngee Ann City Shopping Centre listening to some children carolling. Next to me were these two ladies. As they listened to the carols, they questioned what is there to celebrate when the economy is so bad? What is there to sing when there are many who are down and out?

Then came this afternoon and evening when I heard a couple of people commenting the wet and overcast weather depicting the current situation of the world where there is much doom and gloom.

It is true that there are many affected by the financial downturn; there is no doubt the next one year or two the economy may be gloomy. But all these should not stop Christians especially to celebrate the birth of Christ, who is the light of the world and to bring the message of hope to those affected.

I know it is tough for Christians to be optimistic during this period because we are humans too but we must not let our understanding and wisdom to blind us from the light at the end of the tunnel where Christ shines brightly. We need to hold His hand and in turn hold our neighbours' hands and walk together. If we can do that we know we will still stand when the storm clears.

It has been 23 years since I knew Jesus as my Lord and Saviour. Not too long but too short either. One thing I can testify in these years of my pilgrim's journey is this: God never fails even at times when we think He does.

From not doing well in my studies when I was younger to having to battle an injured kidney when I was a young man to having to deal with many struggles of role-reversal in my family as a middle-age man, I am still running the race.

It is not my doing and ability that this is happening but Christ my Lord who is in front of me to lead; behind me to encourage; beside me to support; and inside me to give me hope and peace. At times I fell into discouragement and frustration but at the end of it all, joy rests in my heart. Hallelujah!

Jesus is the reason for the season - not our finances; not the economy; not the weather; not the shopping; not our friends; etc.

So here's wishing all who come across my blog a joyous Christmas and a blessed new year! :)

"For to us a child is born, to us a son is given, and the government will be on his shoulders. And he will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace." Isaiah 9:6

No comments: