Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Keeping Passion In Check

My heart is very heavy as I am blogging my thoughts.

Two things which happened this evening reminded me not of myself but others whom many would categorise as "unfortunate"; "not so blest"; "unlucky."

I was supposed to go for a dinner but there was a sudden change of plan where the timing was to be brought forward but I was not too keen of that alternative as I felt it was too early. I suggested cancelling the appointment. Of course I was disappointed as I was looking forward to a great evening of feasting and fellowship.

Anyway, as I was dwelling on that, it reminded me of the people in Cambodia whom I know many are finding it tough to even afford a dinner. In fact, some families may not even have the luxury of at least one meal a day. That led me to not let the cancellation of the evening's plan affect me. Instead I took some time to pray for the Khmers and others in the world who are starving.

Then I got a short message to inform me that a plan which the mission teams were planning to do for the next two Sundays may need a permit from a particular governing authority. As much as I know God will make a way, I was still discouraged.

Sometimes I wish there is an ideal world which I can live in where there is perfect trust in every human being but of course there is no such place, except heaven, because of the fallen nature of man.

Anyway, I am just saddened that while trying to help others in need, there need to be justification of this and that which take time to process. In the course of these all, we sometimes forget the urgency in rendering aid to those suffering, while back here in the land of lesser suffering, we are busy answering queries to the cause.

Well, I also spent time praying about this.

I also learnt another lesson today - to not let my passion for something cause me to sin against God and others.

I have to confess lately I have been feeling that way - I want to do so many things to bless the people around me but when faced with the limitations, it affects me and in turn, I affect others by the way I react.

I need to change this attitude because then I am not trusting God, who is the Provider of all things, to open the floodgates of blessings.

Anyway, these are just some thoughts I have for today.

“I desire to do your will, O my God; your law is within my heart.” Psalm 40:8

"Do not be afraid, little flock, for your Father has been pleased to give you the kingdom. Sell your possessions and give to the poor. Provide purses for yourselves that will not wear out, a treasure in heaven that will not be exhausted, where no thief comes near and no moth destroys. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also." Luke 12:32-34

No comments: