Saturday, September 12, 2009

The Fist

The title of today's blog sounds like an upcoming movie involving Jackie Chan but sorry to disappoint all fans of his, it is not. I will elaborate further on this title as I write on.

I had wanted to blog since coming back from the Young Methodist Leaders' Conference (YMLC) on Monday but I could not. It took me two days to recover from the 4-day Conference. Haha. Spiritually I was refreshed but physically I was drained. I was also having a slight flu which thank God by Thursday I was well. :)

After coming back I had to run some errands for the family. I also had to prepare for two dear friends' wedding. Yesterday and the earlier half of today, I had to help at a fair at Loewen Road where two brothers and I had a stall selling children's clothings and quilts from Cheeky Monkey, a social enterprise which we decide to commit ourselves to.

The sale for the whole of yesterday (from 9.30am to 6.00pm) was dismal but still thanks be to God for the four dresses and one quilt sold. Though today's was from 9.30am to 2.00pm, the response from the expat community was overwhelming where 30 dresses and 2 quilts were sold. All glory to God for prompting us to press on and believing that He will send the customers.

In fact one of the brothers and I were considering whether to open the stall today as we were quite discouraged from yesterday's experience but we decided to go ahead and it was something we did not regret since. :)

Towards the middle of the fair this morning, we targetted to sell 30 dresses. Just before closing we sold only 28. We were still happy though. Then as we were packing up and doing stock-check, a lady came and browse the dresses which were still on the rack and guess what? She bought two and that hit the target we set. Hallelujah!

God is indeed good. :)

Anyway, back to the title of the blog. On the second morning of the conference, the youth leaders, Pastors and mentors met for a time of prayer at 6.30am. After a time of praise and short devotion, we were divided into smaller groups and we were challenged to pray for the person on our right based on what the Lord has instilled upon our heart.

The person who interceded for me was a pastor. He said while he was asking God what message He has for me, the pastor was given a vision of a fist. The fist was a sign that I am trying to penetrate into the lives of others; to punch through injustices and struggles of people. When that prayer was said for me, I just broke down as I knew that was what God wanted to confirm in something which I have been wrestling for a few months already - the consideration to serve in the mission field.

Well, I guess I will act upon it with the counsel of some leaders and older siblings-in-Christ of my church and see how God leads me from there.

That morning was such a moment of refreshing for me.

I also had a great time fellowshipping with the group I was mentoring. Though not much time was allocated for longer sharing, I still praise God for allowing me to know 8 new siblings-in-Christ from different churches. I also managed to catch up with a few other siblings-in-Christ whom I already know. I enjoyed a particular one where I had a good chat with a sister about missions.

I am already looking forward to the next YMLC. It is a commitment I have made to be a mentor for three years. Next year would be the last instalment of the three-year cycle.

Well, time for me to stop here and just rest after standing almost throughout the two days at the fair.

Tomorrow is my church's 53rd Anniversary. Looking forward to it already! :)

No comments: