Wednesday, April 08, 2009

Kingdom Of Power

Tonight's sermon at the Holy Week service is the last of three instalments which the guest speaker had for those who attended. If you have read my past two days' entries, probably you would say, "I think Andy is going to use the word 'Spot-on!' again." Well, you are right.

I was 'slapped' left and right as the speaker went from one point to another. Today's focus is on the "Kingdom of Power." I was humbled as the sermon served as a rebuke for me.

I have forgotten, more often than not, that the kingdom of power is living in me. It is not the power that most perceive it to be; not that of strength and might in order to show off or put others down. It is about the Holy Spirit living in me which gives me the power to overcome the sins in my life and also the power to transform people and situations.

The speaker mentioned that the authenticity of a person's life is in the way he lives out the power of the Holy Spirit. How true that is! Imagining a Christian who worships a victorious and mighty God living his life in defeat and depression most of the time. He should live the opposite instead - the power of God in him should create a hunger and thirst in his life.

I paralleled that to my life and my head just drooped. In fact, I have been a hypocrite, trying to pin-point other people's spiritual state and having forgotten to look at mine. One clear evident of a person living out the kingdom of power is the amount of time he sets aside for prayer. Wow! Andy Chew here dreads going for the prayer meetings for leaders and members of the church held on alternate Wednesdays. Reason - since not many people are attending, why should Andy Chew go?

I have forgotten that prayer is tranformational. If every one gives in to disappointments that since others are not interested, why should he or she, then the state of the church will always be stagnating. The speaker reminded the congregation that revival sometimes starts with a few.

I typed in my PDA this, "I WILL ATTEND THE NEXT PRAYER MEETING," and I definitely will. I will also work on my personal prayer lifestyle - instead of just praying for survival, I will now pray for revival... that I will not just content with where I am now and what I am doing but to continue to keep hungering and thirsting for more of God in my life and in the ministries I am serving in.

I want the power of God to transform my devotional life (in my attitude towards reading His Word and prayer); my ministry life (not depending on my human wisdom and strengthg but to let prayer be the source in which the wisdom and power of God flows through me as I avail myself to be instruments of peace to others); and my professional life (letting God use me in the market place).

These three days have been overwhelming for me. I think God wants me to do something more with my life and I pray He will show me more as I seek Him.

Oh yah!!! This morning, I went to my parents' room and I apologised to dad for being rude last Friday when we quarrelled. He accepted it and I praise God for that! My shoulders are so much lighter now! Hallelujah!

I shall stop here. All thanks and praise to God for always reaching out! He has been before; He is now; and He will in future! Truly the Lord is good and His love endures forever! :)

By the way, the guest speaker was Rev. Barnabas Chong from Cairnhill Methodist Church.

"And if the Spirit of him who raised Jesus from the dead is living in you, he who raised Christ from the dead will also give life to your mortal bodies through his Spirit, who lives in you." Romans 8:11

"My message and my preaching were not with wise and persuasive words, but with a demonstration of the Spirit's power, so that your faith might not rest on men's wisdom, but on God's power." 1 Corinthians 2:4-5

No comments: