Monday, May 05, 2014

Bless, Blessed and Blessing!

I had a wonderful morning spent with two very old friends... not in terms of the length of our friendship but their age. There used to be 7 of them but 5 have passed on over the years. One is 89 and the other is 82 years of age.

I decided to pay them a visit after I was reminded by a dear friend yesterday about how our lives are so much blessed, compared to many around us. The last time I met the two elderly aunties was during the Lunar New Year celebration where I usually cook a special meal for them.

I brought the two of them to a nearby coffee shop opposite the Subordinate Courts. We had a simple breakfast of some Chinese peanut and red bean pancakes plus hot drinks. One was surprised to meet me when she was walking around Sheng Siong supermarket with her trolley collecting cardboards and cans.

I was very happy when the two beautiful individuals were eager to know how I have been. Haha. I updated them how things are for me. When we were filling each other in about our lives, one thing which hit me was when one auntie mentioned that even though she is constantly experiencing the pain of arthritis and other ailments, she is still glad that she has food to eat, clothes to wear and medications to ease her pain. She also used the word, "Xing Fu", when she mentioned how a church and also a few generous individuals have been giving her the basic necessities to help her get on with life. That two Chinese words basically mean, "Blessed," if I am not wrong. Pardon me if it is not. Oh yah, the auntie also showed me the items she collected and said that as much as she has been receiving donations, she also believes in trying to earn her own living while she still can... she sells the cardboards and cans for a small sum of money.

The time spent was short because one of the aunties gets tired easily. Before we left, I passed each of them a box of essence of chicken and a few other items. One of them quickly opened the box and passed me a bottle. She asked me to drink it, knowing that lately I have not been feeling well. No words can describe how touched I felt. That simple act showed me how much she puts others before self. As much as I hesitated, I decided to drink it and she clapped and said that I am tired no more. Haha.

Indeed I am tired no more... not because of the essence of chicken but to see the joy on the faces of these two wonderful individuals! :)

One auntie carried on with her routine of collecting the cardboards and cans. I accompanied the other home so that she could have her sleep. When I was walking out of her flat, she advised me to keep swallowing rice so that I can get rid of the bone which is still stuck in my throat when I had fish for dinner yesterday.

Wow! Instead of blessing the aunties, I left feeling very blessed!!!

It is interesting how in a span of two days, I was reminded what it means to bless and how great it is to be blessed!

One other thing I learnt from the above-mentioned is this - when one knows the true meaning of being blessed, he or she also knows how to be thankful.

I am grateful to God for providing me a friend to remind me of how blessed I have been and two other friends whom I can bless them!

A great start to a new week. Praise the Lord! :)

"And God is able to bless you abundantly, so that in all things at all times, having all that you need, you will abound in every good work." 2 Corinthians 9:8

No comments: