Tuesday, July 03, 2012

Pressing On

Last evening after I left the hospital, I was very tired but I did not feel like going home. In the end, I headed for Sentosa Boardwalk to just spend some time with God and also to do some reading. The weather was unusually very cool as the skies were overcast. It really made the whole atmosphere more conducive to just chill after a whole day of talking with doctors and nurses and encouraging dad to persevere even though he is in pain.

I started to reminisce those times when I was still very young when dad brought me to so many movies at the old Lido, Odeon and Capitol cinemas. I also missed those times we spent together shopping at Yaohan and playing in the open fields of the Botanic Gardens.

I also remembered moments when dad would shield me whenever mum caned me. She was the disciplinarian. I still have the first Sony Walkman which he got for me because I love listening to music.

Then over the years we drifted. The reason is mainly I have my commitments and schedules and hardly had the time to spend with him. We had our quarrels and disagreements too.

As I was reflecting on the above-mentioned, all I conclude is that good times need not only be reminisced. It can still happen now and also the future; it is just how we want to make it to be.

I told the Lord that things are changing in my family. My grandma and parents are all getting very old. Instead of giving excuses that there is a generation gap, I will want to spend quality time with them before it is too late. Basically to enjoy each other's company.

I left the hospital a while ago after ensuring that dad is okay. As he was feeling sleepy, I thought I let him rest. A nurse on duty informed me that dad pulled out the tube which was inserted into his nose cavity this morning. As he needs to be fed through the tube, they had to re-insert it even though it is uncomfortable for dad. I had to spend some time with him to explain the whole purpose and the challenge to him is that he tries his best to endure the pain but only for a short while. I told him if he can do that, he will get well sooner and after that he can again eat and drink normally through the mouth.

I prayed with dad for a while and hope this will allow him to be aware of God's presence in and around him. I also trust that God's peace be upon dad and this will then calm him down and rest much.

I did not sleep well last night as I was thinking of a lot of things - not just matters concerning dad but also my relationship with some individuals. For some we have drifted and I am praying that things will improve over time. It is my desire that I do not take relationship for granted but to cherish those whom God has given me the honour to know as friends.

Well, just some thoughts for this period. I am trying to find time to cycle this week. I need to remind myself that life needs to go on as normal as possible. Tough but it has to.

Okay, I shall stop here.

No comments: